the church of S. Theodosia In his book on Ancient and Modern Constantinople^ published in 1844. In that work., indeed^ he assigns the tomb in question to some martyr who suffered during the iconoclastic period.1 This strange silence he explains in his letter written in 1852 as due to prudence ; he had reason then to c put the seal of Alexander upon his lips.'
The tradition has recently received the honour of being
- PROM yntDDDORC
n 5TTHEOD05IA &- CAPITAL-AND SHAFT TQUND
/V3MNST THE HARBOUR WILL NfAK UNKAIW 0/TTE
FIG. 55. (For other details in the church see Fig. 76.)
supported by Mr. Siderides^ to whom students of Byzantine archaeology are so deeply indebted. But while accepting it in generalj Mr. Siderides thinks it is open to correction on two points of detail.
In his opinion the church of S. Theodosia was not the first sanctuary to guard the mortal remains of Constantine Palaeologus, but the second. Nor was the body of the fallen hero, when ultimately brought to this church, placed^ as the
," Athens, 1908 :
HaXaioX^ov Qdvaros, rd^os,